Monday, January 23, 2012

The Arrival

Since many people might ask a set of similar initial questions, I'll try to answer them just once for now. I'm in Copenhagen, Denmark. I've heard that some 99% of Americans couldn't point to Denmark on a world map. If you are in that percentile (which most of the people who are reading this will definitely be able to do, I must have an unusually bright family?), do locate where I will be living for the next four months.
I live with a host family, and even though we have just met, I couldn't say enough about how great they are. Dad, they might have some other type of shell-substance. A father, Jan, mother, Lisbeth, and two sisters (I've always wanted one of those!). The younger is Emma, who is in Australia for 10 weeks and Josephine is 20. The relationships I'm most looking forward to is with my new family, and spending time with them.
I attend school at the Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS), which is located pretty much right in the center of Copenhagen. I take a bus from my house to the city center, and the ride is about 20 minutes because of the frequent stops. The classes I am taking: Danish Language and Culture, Sustainable Development, Biological Conservation and Biodiversity, Criminology and Criminal Justice, and Gender and Sexuality in Scandinavia. Classes start 1/26.
I sat in a cafe today with three other Gustavus students, eating pasteries.
The first night with my family, we went to the restaurant where Jan works, called Sticks and Sushi. As everyone knows, I'm not a fish or seafood person. I tried shrimp, which I did not mind at all. I learned to and successfully ate with chop sticks. I also had duck for the first time, and a glob of goat cheese wrapped in bacon on a stick. I shook hands with a Danish lady and later my mom told me she is a really rich person that owns a bunch of Danish magazines...
I think that's all the details I can give for now, any more and I think people would start to fall asleep reading. If anyone has other specific questions, feel free to ask.

Mo

2 comments:

  1. Am I unusually EXTRA bright if I've been to Denmark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Criminology and Criminal Justice - isn't Denmark the lowest crime rated countries? Sustainable Development - now we're talking they lead the industry in that area don't they?

    ReplyDelete